Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Costume for Cake-like Cookies


Happy Halloween!

This year at the last minute I decided to wear a costume that would allow me to give out cookies to my co-workers. I came up with two options: Alice in Wonderland (which I have always wanted to be) with "Eat Me" cookies or Little Red Riding Hood with a picnic basket. One quick email to the crafty Costa girls and voila, I was to be Red (thanks, Holly, for the cape!) and I had a quick Pumpkin and Dark Chocolate Chip cookie recipe (thanks, Aimee!).

I originally wanted to make elaborate sugar cookies but I had a bad traffic karma week and that proved impossible to accomplish during the week. Aimee recommended this cake-like pumpkin cookie recipe that you can see here. Her suggestion to add dark chocolate chips was an excellent one. I also left off the icing since I added chocolate.

Here's the view from the picnic basket. This recipe begs the question: When is a cookie a cake? These cookies had a cake-like texture and were very moist. I made the mistake of tenting the cookies that were already cooled on racks with aluminum foil...forgetting that it was supposed to rain and therefore quite humid so it was unlikely that they would dry out overnight. As a result, the cookies were a bit moister to the touch at the surface but they still tasted good. I noticed however that when I gave them out, people were very surprised at the texture so I started calling them cookie-cakes to manage expectations! I am not sure if I would call these cookies based on the structure of the crumb. I was told once that the continuous phase of a cookie is the sugar and I don't believe this was the case at all. No matter what you call them, they were delicious and very easy to make.


1 comment:

Frankie B said...

Way to go, Red! The hairdo definitely works with the outfit!