Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Cupcake Debate


Well, I found two websites that have the most beautiful cupcakes I have ever seen:

1) Martha Stewart's Website Cupcake Contest. Click here to see all of the finalists. And click here to see my very favorite, a Japanese tea set cupcake.

2) Le Cupcake in Australia. Click here to see these cute cupcakes. I love this one with the cows.

While I was admiring these cupcakes, I did start to wonder if these masterpieces are still "cupcakes"? Many of them seem to about the wonderful gum paste figures and roses which really could be on any sort of cake. I would imagine that while they look lovely and ornate, they might not taste very good. The Hello Cupcake book that I have is also really about appearances rather than taste. I think the thing that is wonderful about cupcakes and the reason they are so popular right now is the perfect size and delicious taste.  While I love the ornate sculptural creations, I think they should still taste good. Sometimes, I get caught up in the appearance over taste. When is a cupcake still a cupcake and when does it become edible art?

Coming in the next post: Lemon Lavender Cake


No comments: