Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday Confessions: Cheater Rolls that are Easy but not Quick

When it comes to the holidays, I love to make everything from scratch. However, I am going to confess that my holiday rolls haven't always been...but they haven't come from a can or the bakery either. I learned this wonderful shortcut that makes these rolls easy and delicious but not necessarily quick. They are the Rhodes or Bridgford frozen dough that you proof and bake at home. These premade dough pucks are perfect to make double rolls and fill the house with the smell of proofed dough and baked bread.

I made these the morning of Thanksgiving by spraying a muffin tin with some Pam, and putting two pucks in each cup. I brushed melted butter on top and put a bit of Saran Wrap and let them thaw and proof in an extinguished oven (set it to 200 and then turned it off) with a pan of water underneath.
Orient the dough pieces such that the flat parts are towards each other. I actually needed the oven after a while so I let the rolls finish proofing on top of the warm oven. The thaw and proof takes a few hours so leave yourself plenty of time.When I am really prepared, I thaw and proof them in the fridge overnight but this year I was distracted by pie. Once they had doubled in size
(a few hours), I took off the Sarah wrap and baked them.


They smell so good and are perfect for a turkey sandwich the next day as well. Make sure to make at least 2 per person!

For more ideas on how to make even fancier rolls with this dough check out the Rhodes website or this video on youtube. I might just do that myself or maybe I will find some time to make them from scratch...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhodes also makes great cinnamon rolls. They taste home made! You have to do the same thing-let them thaw and rise the night before then cook in the morning for a great treat! eh