Monday, January 5, 2009

Chicken and Mitten Cookies

After Mama A and Little I left, I decided to decorate some of the chicken and mitten cookies a bit more elaborately. First, a few FAQs:


Q: Why chickens and mittens?
A: Because those are two cookie cutters that I have been meaning to try out...they have nothing to do with each other besides that.


Q: What does elaborately mean?
A: It means 5 colors or frosting: white, red, yellow, blue, green and black and two consistencies: outline- thicker for outlining and flow- to flood the cookie with frosting.

Which all equals- a very messy kitchen!

Q: You can buy black food coloring?
A: Yes, I highly recommend the gel paste food colorings because they are extremely concentrated and don't change the viscosity of your frosting as much. I have a gajillion colors thanks to Mama A who hit a sale at Sur La Table.

And here are the results:

Chickens... (some in more formal attire and wearing pearls)


Mittens...
Chickens and Mittens...

Just Mittens...
My buffet is full of mittens and chickens...to be distributed amongst my neighbors.

As you can see, I am still in holiday mode...and I will be until January 10th when the Boy Scouts come to pick up our tree. Christmas felt too short this year...plus I like to leave the Christmas stuff up until Epiphany which is January 6th.

1 comment:

BookyG said...

Those are fabulous pieces of art! I want to stick a hanger in them and use them as ornaments! My mom used to make ornaments out of a dough, But her ornaments (usually words) were never as fancy as your edible cookies.